Thread: MGA Restoration

Default MGA Restoration

I have just obtained an MGA Roadster which is in pieces down to its chassis. It was a California car and shows surprisingly, just alittle chassis rusting at its right an left frame rail sides where the floor angle iron was fitted. Having taken a mig welding course I intend to restore the car as much as possible in my garage. Can someone advise the best sequence of repairs. Obviously the chassis would be first and second question. Powdercoating the chassis after its repairs while still in my garage I assume is not possible but, what is the next best way to go. And Thirdly any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. C. Allen

You are correct that powder coating the entire chassis while still in your garage is not possible, it is actually possible but not feasable. You would need days to cure with a infrared lamp and that would cost more electricity than having the chassis coated proffessionally. That would be my first choice, next is some good self-etching primer and epoxy paint. I used a competitors chassis paint on my frame but I have been using Eastwoods Chassis Black on everything else that is not being powdered. For a driver I think I would stick to a epoxy.

Not being a MG person I can't help much with specifics, but start at the bottom and work your way up. So get the chassis cleaned up, fix everything even if it looks "ok" fix it, new bushings and work your up way up to the body. Spend your time on the chassis getting it right, you will be happy later.

Smile mga restoration

Thank you Mike for your comments. My new Mig Welder arrived today so I'm anxious to get started. Clive.

I highly recommend having your chassis professionally powder coated. I have a guy I use for items that won't fit in my home oven, and he does beautiful work. Here's my 1941 Buick Century's frame with a semi-gloss black finish:

For what it cost, I am VERY pleased with the results. Take a look at my blog here on Eastwood or visit my web site to see my ground-up restoration, including extensive metal patching work. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Matt Harwood; 08-18-2005 at 04:26 PM.
    Matt Harwood
    Cleveland, OH
    My 1941 Buick Century sedanette restoration
    If you have a '41-42 Buick with dual carbs, also be sure to visit The Dual-Carb Registry
    Build a V8 Ranger!

Default Re: MGA Resto

Quote Originally Posted by allenc
    I have just obtained an MGA Roadster which is in pieces down to its chassis. It was a California car and shows surprisingly, just alittle chassis rusting at its right an left frame rail sides where the floor angle iron was fitted. Having taken a mig welding course I intend to restore the car as much as possible in my garage. Can someone advise the best sequence of repairs. Obviously the chassis would be first and second question. Powdercoating the chassis after its repairs while still in my garage I assume is not possible but, what is the next best way to go. And Thirdly any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. C. Allen
    Hey Clive:
    Good luck on the MGA. I am a Brit car nut & love the MGA. Although my specaility is Triumphs. I just wanted to provide you with my Local British Car club web site (www.capecodbritishcarclub.org). Although I cannot answer specific questions to the MGA. We have many MGA experts in our club (over 250 members). Feel free to post questions on the clubs forum. I'm sure the guy's will be happy to assist.
    Good Luck
    Bob
    www.capecodpowdercoating.com

Default MGA info for restoration

Good luck on your project
    The link below is a great source of info for what you need. I have emailed him in the past with questions and is quick to reply and is very helpful

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/

Ted

Tdog,
    Many years ago I restored a '58 MGA Roadster, and at that time became actively involved with a regional MGA club in the Chicago Area. The MGA guru referenced in your posting was a very active member of that club, and in fact helped me shoehorn the drivetrain back into my ride. Barney is an Engineer by vocation and is extremely knowledgable about the marque and an excellent resource. I was delighted to see the link to his web site!

The Butcher

I'm restoring my MGA 1960 (conversion) to V12 Jaguar Yes , I have the chassis of and ready to power coating www.homepage.mac.com/saint007

Saint007,
    After reading your posting this morning, I went to your web page to have a better look. When someone says Jag V-12 and MGA in the same sentance it doesn't suggest further investigation, it commands it! Before even looking, I was impressed that someone would have the vision (actually was thinking of another phrase at that point) to attempt such a project.

As I progressed through your images, I tried to image what was going through your mind when the picture "trial fitting" was taken. Maybe something along the lines of "well I've really taken the plunge...it's gotta fit...it's gotta fit....what'll I do with it if it doesn't fit???" But that's where the progression of the project images gets really interesting and the creativity is self-evident. It appears that you've created a tilt front end, addressing the question that I had about servicing the beast (first blush indicated that spark plug changes were about to become very interesting).

The carburetor setup is nothing short of artwork, and in my opinion looks absolutely astonishing. They appear to be Del Orto's...are they? I'd love to hear about the linkage setup and how you accomplish the balancing-out of these units. You mentioned in your posting that "the chassis is ready for power coating". This must have been a Freudian Slip...it's already POWER COATED; maybe ready for some powder coat now! This is genuinely an exciting project and I sincerly hope that you'll continue to post for the benefit and inspiration of the group as it progresses.

The Butcher