Thread: Leaky cowl on my 67 mustang.

Default Leaky cowl on my 67 mustang.

I bought a 67 Mustang a while back and at the time I didnt know the big question to ask, does it leak? Anyway, it has been a very frustrating issue for me. I love the car, it runs great, I have done many modifications like adding power disc brakes and electronic ignition, etc.... The interior needs work and I really need to address this leaky cowl. I have bought the plastic inserts but I guess it is to far gone for them to work. I understand the box needs to be patched or replaced. Lots of $$ I really dont have to spend right now. I just thought I would ask if anybody might have another solution. Is there something that could be sprayed into the vents that would seal it up? Maybe like the material they spray into the bed of pick up trucks.

Thanks, Mitch

Mitch, I feel your pain!!! Im a Mustang freak, I love these cars, but I HATE the design of the cowl, and especially the short sighted Ford engineers that decided it would be fine to leave raw un protected metal in these areas and not galvanized sheet metal. Anyhow, I've been in your shoes. The proper repair, as you have probably read, is to remove the top of the balloon assembly ( cowl vent panel) and replace the metal "hats' from the top, then replace or re-attach the vent panel. There area 140 ish, spotwelds to drill and a ton of work... but that's the way to repair it permanently.

Here's a cheater method that will temporarily work.... use a catalyzed bed liner material like you've talked about and pour it down into each side of the cowl through the vents. IT will run down and into the car, so put something under the vents to protect the carpet and interior.... it may take a couple of applications, but it will eventually kick and fill up the rust holes, TEMPORARILY stopping the leaks, and forcing the water to evacuate where it is supposed to, (out the side of the cowl) and not onto your shoes. Fiberglass resin also works temporarily, but it's hard and brittle, and doesnt conform as easily.

I stress that this is a temporary fix.... but it does work.

BTW, take off the plastic vents BEFORE you pour the muck into the cowl... you can see what your doing better and you wont ruin them... and get used to working upside down... better to take the seats out as well.

KT.