Thread: ugly first time on aluminum

Default ugly first time on aluminum

i tried powder coating 2 aluminum pieces today and have major problems first is aluminum angle motor mounts for my boat second is a bracket. both where blasted with sand and blown off and wiped down with lacquer thinner and rubbing alcohol then coated and cured. what could be the problem? thank you for any help
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by adam boozel View Post
    i tried powder coating 2 aluminum pieces today and have major problems first is aluminum angle motor mounts for my boat second is a bracket. both where blasted with sand and blown off and wiped down with lacquer thinner and rubbing alcohol then coated and cured. what could be the problem? thank you for any help
    Looks like a part that's been exposed to saltwater/air environment, or a very Greasy environment for a substantial time. That is "Outgassing". Stuff that's trapped in the pores of the metal is trying to get out (and succeeding). If you cook the parts (while clean) for about 50 degrees above cure temp, for about an hour or so, then blast, clean and coat, it should be better, but you may still have issues dealing with that stuff. There are alternatives to my above suggestions, but I'd suggest it First, since you have everything on hand to do it. If that doesn't stop all outgassing, then you may have to resort to a red oxide primer made for sealing pipes (fusion bonding powder)...... try the extra bake time and get back with us if no progress or still need help.

thanks for the help the parts tured out alot better this time