Thread: Eastwoods Plasma Cutter

Question Eastwoods Plasma Cutter

I purchased the Versa Cut because it was sold by Eastwood. Normally don't buy products made in China but the fact that Eastwood was selling, it had to be good. I've had and used a plasma cutter before, a Hypertherm 380. Never had an issue with it doing the exact some as outlined below.

First off the Eastwood model is underrated it will cut 1/2" thick steel plate and do a darn good job doing it. I am in the middle of restoring a 1962 Cushman scooter $$. I need to cut off brackets, as gouging out or removing the welds. I can purchase some new parts, but I need to save what I can... otherwise I am making parts.

The issue with the cutter is the torch itself, the outside plastic covered brass ring that holds the tip and electrode to the torch head. When you lay the torch on the metal to gouge or cut out welds the steel gets hot, and melts the plastic off that side of the brass ring. Its PC0003 in the parts list for the torch as found online. The since the brass is exposed, the high voltage for starting the arc shorts out against the work.

Customer service is sending replacement parts but I am wondering if they are ceramic or like the Hypertherm metal insulated from the inside part with something that was heat resistant? Otherwise we are back to square one.

The cutter itself is built nice and works fine, minor problem getting an arc started on heavy rusted metal but thats not a complaint. YES I used the angle grinder to clean a nice area for the ground clamp. Other than the issue above I like the plasma cutter.

Lightbulb

I got the replacement parts kit today, even on a Saturday no less, thanks Eastwood. They appear to be the same as what came on the torch new. In the mean time I had repaired the damaged outside phenolic (over brass ) with JB Weld and some stainless steel tape (like duct tape only thicker) held in place with a hose clamp until the JB Weld set up. Hoping the stainless will act as a heat shield when I try to do the same thing... if I do that again. Anyway the plasma cutter works great, now since acetylene prices are going sky high it makes sense to use the plasma all I can.

The outside nozzle you are speaking of is a wear item on the Versa Cut Plasma Cutter. In most cases it should last a long time but when cutting heavy materials and getting a lot of kick back of molten metal, it will get this piece very hot and begin melting it hence the reason its replaceable. The reason the piece is not all metal so that it is isolated to lower the risk of electric shock to the user. I will bring up the idea here at Eastwood for us to look into designing some type of long life nozzle. On a side note I am glad you are happy with your purchase!

As I said in the other post, Hypertherm uses a two part metal piece. Brass threaded as Eastman and then a heat resistant insulation (white Fiberglas?) of some kind with a knurled metal outside cover. In any event I would purchase another plasma cutter from Eastman simply because of of the customer service.

Question Consumables and extra length tips

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    As I said in the other post, Hypertherm uses a two part metal piece. Brass threaded as Eastman and then a heat resistant insulation (white Fiberglas?) of some kind with a knurled metal outside cover. In any event I would purchase another plasma cutter from Eastman simply because of of the customer service.
    Is there any advantage to using the extended length consumables for the Trafimet CB50 torch on the Eastwood plasma cutter?
    Just wondering if the extra length would keep the plastic nozzle cover cooler and extend the life of all parts?

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Is there any advantage to using the extended length consumables for the Trafimet CB50 torch on the Eastwood plasma cutter?
    Just wondering if the extra length would keep the plastic nozzle cover cooler and extend the life of all parts?
    OK I ordered and received the extended length nozzles and electrodes yesterday. Been using them today and wow, do yourself a favor and get some. They take all the heat away from the shroud or nozzle cover and you can see the line!! Might even prevent that piece from melting from the reflected heat. How they thought that plastic would work on something that close to that much heat is beyond me. So much for engineering.

Or it could be the Chinese source that Eastwood buys from can't get it right, as the new one I got with the order and haven't installed yet seems to be a different material.

I purchased from this vender> www.plasmapart.com who is located in the UK. They tell me that the parts they sell are made in Germany not China. They take PayPal so the exchange rate is done for you and they ship via Air Mail to the US.

Part numbers for the Trafimet CB50 torch are found on this page> http://www.plasmapart.com/index.php?...h=110_1_114_95

There appears to be two models of the Trafimet torch, one made in Italy the other in China, same part number and look identical.

It would be nice if Eastwood stocked these German made parts, its turns their Plasma cutter into a much better machine.