Thread: Powder Coating fumes

Default Powder Coating fumes

first off hello im new to powder coating. i have a second hand oven set aside in my basement to use just for PC but before i wire it in to the box and go to that trouble i have a question. during the heating/curing proses are there any (ie many) dangerous fumes given off? is a oven in a basement a poor choice?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Blue View Post
    first off hello im new to powder coating. i have a second hand oven set aside in my basement to use just for PC but before i wire it in to the box and go to that trouble i have a question. during the heating/curing proses are there any (ie many) dangerous fumes given off? is a oven in a basement a poor choice?

thanks
    Yes, there are fumes and smoke that are given off as the power heats ups and cures. My first attempt was to put my small homemade oven near a window in my garage with a box fan to suck the fumes/smoke out. The smoke detectors still went off. My oven is small and portable so I take it outside now when I cure parts.
    You probably can't do that but you may be able to put a hood over the top with a fan in it to draw the smoke outside.

Welcome to the forum. There may be fumes and smoke, but they are noit dangerous. Your biggest issue will be if you coat greasy or oily parts. Stuff like that smokes pretty bad when you outgas prior to coating. As Jim says, you should vent it somehow.

Best of luck.

Dan
    Elite Powder Coat

thanks for the reply's

My big oven is in the basement and seldom do the fumes permeat to upstairs.

it sounds like i could get by leaving then oven in the basement but to total squash the chance of any fumes making there way to the living area of the house i think ill just buy more wire and put the oven in the gauge

I would put it in the garage.