Thread: Stripping and Powder Coating Factory Aluminum Wheels

Default Stripping and Powder Coating Factory Aluminum Wheels

Hello,

I apologize if this post is redundant, I just keep finding conflicting information about the process.

I have a set of factory, aluminum Toyota wheels from a '07 Tacoma (pic attached) I would like to powder coat black. I have thus far removed about 80% with a chemical paste and I need to blast the rest off. I have access to a large blast cabinet. Soooo....

What kind of abrasive should I use to remove the remaining paint and clear coat still on the wheel?

What is the proper procedure for outgassing of this particular kind of wheel?

What else should the prep entail prior to coating?

Does powder coating the wheel reduce the structural strength in any way (including multiple heating and cooling cycles from multiple coats, as well as the outgassing process)?

Do you recommend a particular matte black powder for this project?

I REALLY appreciate any help in getting the facts I need for this project.

Thank you!!!

Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images  

On aluminum, I would personally use 80-grit Aluminum Oxide. Cuts through and removes paint easily without leaving too agressive a blast profile. Too coarse a grit will make it necessary to hand sand the surface prior to coating, or it may take a minimum of 2 coats to cover.

After blasting, I always just rinse the abrasive dust off the wheel with clean tap water and blow dry with compressed air. You could skip the water and just blow off any dust, but I find washing gives the best results. Of course on steel, you would use a phosphating cleaner followed by a rinse rather than using plain water or the steel will flash rust almost immediately. Just be sure after blasting to handle with nitrile gloves instead of your bare hands. You should never touch the actual substrate with bare skin after blasting or final cleaning.

In my opinion, outgassing is generally not needed on wheels, but it can never hurt, so that is your call. If you do, keep your outgas temps below 450f and the time to an hour or less. Cure temps affecting the wheels has been discussed many many times on many different forums. At the temperatures we outgas and cure (as stated - 450 f recommended maximum for outgassing), there is no appreciable reduction in tensile strength. Going hotter than 450 f for several hours may affect them negatively, but there is no reason for going any hotter or any longer than recommended.

Best of luck.
    The only powder recommendation I would make is to be sure whatever you select is UV stable. Epoxies and some hybrid powders require a clear for UV stability. The manufacturer info will tell you if a particular powder is UV stable or not.

Best of luck.

Dan
    Elite Powder Coat

Welcome to the addiction. I would recommend Black Magic or Matte Black Tuscan. Both have a 5-10% gloss level and look great on wheels.

I appreciate the input!

Any suggestion on quantity for all 4 wheels?

Do you think one coat would be adequate with your suggested powders?

Depends on your experiance. I would order a minimum of 2lbs of your choice. One lb would probably do if you could get it done in one coat and not screw up and have to second coat or strip and redo one. Shoot the first coat and put it in the oven until it starts to flow out. At this point remove it and inspect for light areas and hit those spots to cover and then a light coat over the whole wheel, return to oven for full cure at this point.Use an led flashlight while applying the first coat and make sure you cannot see any of the wheel through the powder and you should be good to go. Check for light spots anyways at flowout.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marankie View Post
    I appreciate the input!

Any suggestion on quantity for all 4 wheels?

Do you think one coat would be adequate with your suggested powders?

If you have already hit the existing coating with stripper, you may find almost all blasting media having poor cutting ability, due to the fact that the coating has turned rubbery from the stripper. This doesn't mean it won't work,... it may just take a bit more patience and time. The media seems to just bounce off the rubbery stuff for a while.

If you run into what Scott mentioned, put the wheel in the oven for a cure cycle and it will harden the coating and make it easier to blast off.

those wheels for toyota superb are great and i think you dont need to outgas them since it has a little effect only but if you want to give it a shot then go ahead. good luck tho. cheers!