Thread: Powdercoating Wilwood FSLI Brake Calipers masking and plugging questions

Default Powdercoating Wilwood FSLI Brake Calipers masking and plugging questions

The parts are brand new and have been disassembled completely.

For any threaded parts can I use silicone plugs and pull them out AFTER everything cures? Or do I pull them after applying the powder?
    ^ my other option was to use bolts and just unbolt them out once everything cures..... What do you recommend?

As for the Piston bores, I figured I would MASK that with tape and use a fine razor to make a nice circle around the bore or use a retainer snap ring wrapped with aluminum foil then apply powder.
    When should I remove the tape or aluminum foil with retainer snap ring: After the powder cures and the part cools down? Right after I apply the powder, before I put into the oven? I also see another option, which states to mask, start curing just until the powder begins to flow and stop till the part is cool, remove mask> complete curing process by putting the part back into the oven for the remainder of the curing time. (further description as example: take part out and remove mask at 10minutes, and put in for another 10 minutes to complete the 20 minute cure).

I am new to powder coating and will not start with my calipers on the first attempt. I will test some random parts I have laying around. Again testing wont involve masking/plugging like the calipers do.

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by qbcsvt View Post
    The parts are brand new and have been disassembled completely.

For any threaded parts can I use silicone plugs and pull them out AFTER everything cures? Or do I pull them after applying the powder?
    ^ my other option was to use bolts and just unbolt them out once everything cures..... What do you recommend?

As for the Piston bores, I figured I would MASK that with tape and use a fine razor to make a nice circle around the bore or use a retainer snap ring wrapped with aluminum foil then apply powder.
    When should I remove the tape or aluminum foil with retainer snap ring: After the powder cures and the part cools down? Right after I apply the powder, before I put into the oven? I also see another option, which states to mask, start curing just until the powder begins to flow and stop till the part is cool, remove mask> complete curing process by putting the part back into the oven for the remainder of the curing time. (further description as example: take part out and remove mask at 10minutes, and put in for another 10 minutes to complete the 20 minute cure).

I am new to powder coating and will not start with my calipers on the first attempt. I will test some random parts I have laying around. Again testing wont involve masking/plugging like the calipers do.

Thanks in advance
    Bolts are fine too, but remove them all before the part goes into the oven. For a smooth transition at the powder line, it would be best to remove the plugs and masking just after the powder starts to melt. Keep a close eye on the part and just as it starts to look wet, pull the part, let it cool, remove the masking, then put it back in the oven for Full Cure.... that means start the cure timer when the PART gets to temp. Do not use Eastwood's Curing parameters. Use their basic numbers, but instead of 10 minutes after it turns glossy (or whatever the particular powder instructions are...), cure it for the cure time they suggest, but only after that part comes fully up to the cure temp. Do not rely on the oven temp as a gage, get an IR thermometer to measure the temperature of the part.

Welcome to this addiction we call Powder Coating.

Welcome to the addiction.I always try and pull my plugs right after shooting if possible, otherwise like Scott said wait till flow out and then cool and remove. Bolts work great and can be left in to keep the threads from any powder infiltration, but after shooting the powder back the bolts out a few tuens so there is no powder on the bolt touching the hole. Any plug or bolt that goes through full cure in place will leave a ragged edge when you remove it needing to be deburred with some tool, avoid this. By pulling the plugs before cure the powder will flow to a nice smooth transition