Thread: Plan for Rust under floor

Default Plan for Rust under floor

Hi,
    The vehicle in question is a '92 Jeep Cherokee. The floor pan has factory undercoat in places but it's not full coverage by any means. Maybe the guy's eyes were closed? I also have a number of different rust situations anywhere from surface rust to perforations.

The perforations have been cut out and weld patched, with a front and rear floor pan replacement on the pass. side. My plan was to use spray "Rust Converter" on the other cleaned up surface rust spots, then coat with spray "Rust Encapsulator".
    I was also going to coat all the welding seams and existing seams with Rust Encapsulator then with "Brushable Seam Sealer". The final step was to be coat the entire floor with "Rubberized Undercoat".

I should note that the engine is still in, but the rear of the trans is lowered, and the fuel tank and all the suspension has been removed so i have pretty good access.

My questions are:
    1. Where I've used the Rust Encapsulator, I'm sure I'll have overspray on the existing factory undercoat. Will the Rust Encapsulator stick to the factory undercoat? [I would really like to avoid scraping all the factory undercoat off.]
    2. Can I spray the Rubberized Undercoat over the Rust Encapsulator or do I need to topcoat the Rust Encapsulator with paint?

My order is, wire brush and needle scale rust.
    Spray rust with Rust Converter.
    Spray entire floor with Rust Encapsulator.
    Apply seam sealer to all new seams and some existing seams.
    Spray entire floor with Rubberized Undercoat.

I have already coated the inside of the frames with "Internal Frame Coating".

How does this sound?
    P.S. I'm refering to the underside of the floor, not the interior.

thanks for your time,
    rob Jones

Hi Rob,

Your plan sounds pretty good. Two things to keep in mind.

1. The rust converter is made for heavy scaly-like rust. It is not really meant for light surface rust. Id use the rust converter on any heavy rust spots, followed by the encapsulator, then top coat or seam seal as you mentioned.

2. The rust encapsulator works best on rusty surfaces. So I'd suggest to spray just the rusty areas (such as the spot/surface rust you mentioned) with it, then top coat/seam seal. It is designed to adhere best to rusty surfaces, and while it will adhere to normal clean metal and your OE undercoating, it isn't as optimal as some of our other products like our Chassis Black.

Hope that helps!

-Matt/EW

I was thinking if the rust encapsulator sticks to rusty metal it should stick to anything.
    I was going to use it along the edges of the existing spot welded factory seams to help seal the joint, followed by seam sealer, then coat entire floor with the rubberized undercoat.
    Can the encapsulator be topcoated with the undercoating, or do I need to put a coat of paint on the encapsulator before applying undercoat?
    thanks,
    rj

Yep, you can apply the undercoating over top of the encapsulator no problem. That stuff will stick to anything!

Default Now What??

Well, being anal retentive, I bit the bullet and needle scaled the entire underneath of the floor. Not a fun job!!
    I'm glad I did as it did revel perforations I had not discovered which I'm in the process of cutting out and welding in new metal.

The floor was partially covered with undercoat with some areas paint and no undercoat. This a unibody frame and in addtion there is some surface rust along the seams.

After the needle scaling the surface of the floor has a bit of a rough surface, slightly dimpled with thousands of tiny spots, some of which are bare metal, some "cleaned" surface rust, and some thousands of tiny spots of the remaining residue of the original undercoat, [these are 1/4 the size of a pin head and are almost smooth to the touch].

Now what?
    My original plan was to coat entire floor with Rust Encapsulator, use seam sealer along the seam joints, then Rubberized Undercoat, however the Rust Encapsulator does not appear recomended for painted surfaces, but I'm not sure if what I have left qualifies as a "painted surface".

I have also thought about using the Internal Frame Coating, as a sealer along the seams as this says it "creeps" into crevices. Can this be topcoated like a primer???

As the entire suspension has been removed and has been "detailed out" [using various Eastwood products] I have since been tempted to epoxy primer the floor then coat with acrylic enamel, same as body color to give it a "real OEM look", then undercoat the wheel wells for protection.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but can the rubberized undercoat be painted? The seam sealer inside the car was painted from the factory and thats lasted for years.

Any comments and suggestions are welcome as the indecision is killing me.thanks,
    rj