Thread: What are you welding?

Default What are you welding?

It seems like welding is a mini-project of its own on many restoration projects. I figured we can all share what we have been making with our welders. Feel free to post up what you are welding, your machine you are using, and any other tech info. you want to share!

Here at Eastwood we have been tackling J.R.'s rust issues on his Capri project. Here is a shot of some inner and outer rocker fabrication going on by Mark with our MIG 135

I'll Post up some of my own personal projects here shortly.. seems like I am always welding on something!

Recently I cut out the stock motor mount brackets in my VW convertible to fit a larger 6cylinder VW engine in it. One of the difficult tasks was making a lower trans mount bracket from scratch. Here are a few shots of it as I built it, and test fit it. I am using a hockey puck as the rubber "mount". The car is a weekend fun car, so the little bit of vibration won't bother me too much.

-Matt/EW

Matt- question for you: are you using a MIG 135 or MIG 175 on the pictures of your projects?

Sorry, forgot to mention that! I am using a MIG 135 in my home garage. I choose that mainly because of the diversity to use it anywhere with the 110V.. as often times I am working on projects out in my large driveway, or even hauling it to other locations to help friends, and I wanted to be sure I could use it anywhere that has electric outlets.

I will admit that for some of my projects I am butting up against the max of what this unit can do.. but I have never hit the duty cycle, or had any issues with it performing to my expectations.

This weekend I was working on replacing the floors on my "field find" Rat Vw rabbit. This thing is ROUGH! So it took some fiddling to get the replacement sheet metal pieces in place and joined to the old floor. Hoping to finish the replacement floor work tonight!

From this:

to this:

to here (the finished portions have our brushable seam sealer over the welding patch panel seams):

I ran out of wire last night (rookie mistake!) last night, so I didn't get my floor finished in my Rat, but I did shoot a shot of the nice welds my last bit of wire was laying down with the MIG 135. I was using .023 solid core wire here.

Built a battery box the other day and thought I'd share!

http://blog.eastwood.com/tech-corner...th-the-mig135/

I've been working on my TIG welding as of late. Here are a couple beginner projects I've been taking on.

First 2 is of a custom intake tube I made out of thin wall 6061 aluminum and a 2 tight radius 90 degree cast aluminum bends. This was fully welded on 110V with my Eastwood TIG 200. The last picture of carbon steel I made an engine mount bracket out of. The engine mount was done on 220V with the TIG 200 as well.

Name:  elbow.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  268.6 KBName:  intaketube.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  25.2 KBName:  motormount.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  75.2 KB

With the help of my TIG200 AC/DC, I built myself a modified set of Longtube headers

Here I was still mocking up the #7 & #8 primary tubes (needed to get relocated to clear steering column)

Here is the finished product

I just recently [partially] built a much needed welding table using my Versacut40 and TIG200. Pic of that soon.

All I know is that I could really use a MIG175 to lay down more metal at a faster rate than with the TIG200! Missed the Christmas sale, so I'll just wait until it goes on sale again w/ free shipping.