Thread: Durability comparison between 2 stage and single stage urethane paint?

Default Durability comparison between 2 stage and single stage urethane paint?

In terms scratch and chip resistance, and resistance to fuel spills - is there any difference between single stage urethane and base coat/clear coat urethane. Since both the single stage and the clear coat are catalyzed urethane paints - I would think they would have about the same durability????????

Thanks

Dan

The chip resistance and resistance to fuel spills is going to be the same as far as how they are effected. It is just that a basecoat clearcoat paint is going to have that extra layer of clear coat for protection. This can keep a light scratch from going to the primer, and allows for some more room for error when buffing and polishing the paint after you spray it. Both a BCC and a SS paint can have similar durability if taken care, of.. but again that extra layer of clearcoat neccesary on a BCC paintjob will give some added durability over a SS paintjob. But SS can seen on some older cars to still shine today with proper care.

Keep in mind, you can spray our Urethane Clear Coat over any of our SS paints to achieve similar protection, and the ability to cut and buff the paint as with our BCC.

Here is a Pickup I sprayed with our GM Fathom Green Muscle Color SS paint, our Urethane Clear Coat, then cut and buffed this past summer. You can see you can get similar results with SS and a clear added on top.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Matt - I guess a better way of posing my question regarding BC/CC and SS paint durability would be - given the same total paint film thickness on top of primer is their any notable difference in what I can expect for durability. In this case it's the same depth to the primer if I get a deep scratch or if I color sand and buff too far. But fuel resistance and chip resistance would be about the same?

Dan

Correct the fuel and chip resistance would be the same. BC/CC has more UV protection to the actual color due to the extra layer of clearcoat of the paint, but if you spray a urethane clear coat over SS you get rid of that issue. Hope that makes sense!

-Matt/EW

Matt - yes, that makes sense. Given the same overall paint thickiness I didn't understand why everyone says the BC/CC is more resistant to damage and I was curious if there was as much UV protection in the single stage. Thanks for the response.

Dan