Thread: rookie mistakes

Default rookie mistakes

I either misunderstood, or got some bad information about sanding the basecoat before applying the clear. I am painting my car with eastwood quarter mile candy red (non-metallic), and 4:1 clear. I have already put down 2-3 coats of the base red last weekend and started to sand the base.
    1. Do I now need to put at least 1 wet coat of base before applying the clear?
    2. What do I need to be sure that the first coat layer of base coat sticks to the existing layer?
    3. Do I need to sand back down to primer? (please say no!!)
    4. Do I need to reapply primer?
    5. If I can just sand down the basecoat, what grit sandpaper? Does 800 have enough bite?

Thanks for any help!

First, lets start with what you did to the existing base coat. What grit did you sand it with? Did you wet or dry sand it? If you used a relatively high grit paper and sanded it wet, you maybe be ok to just shoot another coat or two of color over top of it again.. but if you went too coarse with the sanding, the sanding scratches may show through out the paint job when done.. So you need to at least sand the basecoat you sanded nice and smooth, then shoot another coat or two of base, then apply clear. Hope that helps!

Thanks Matt, The good news, I sanded with 800, so not too worried about sanding scratches. Do you think the next color coat will "bite"?

Yes, it should adhere just fine to the lightly sanded surface. Post up some pictures after you get it all laid out, I'd love to see what you are working on!

-Matt/EW

Here is a link to our paint page. There are product information sheets (above the red starburst) for the paint colors and clear. These sheets contain info on applying the products and gun set up, etc.....

Matt,
    Sorry about the slow update, and thanks for the good advice!! I got it done, and it turned out awesome. Not that I have any experience with anything else, but the eastwood paint looks great, and the G2 poly primer was the way to go. In a couple more years, I might have the entire car painted!!.

Looking good! Glad we were of help. Feel free to hit us up if you have any other questions along the way.

Regards,

Matt/EW

Blog Entries

I think it looks real good! A colorsanding and polish will make it look GREAT!
    E-tek Restorations
    Turning rust into rides!
    Check my web site - http://sites.google.com/site/edanneberg/home