Thread: Question on high temp powder for exhaust

Default Question on high temp powder for exhaust

Hey guys,

I am restoring a 1973 porsche 914. I have never powdercoated, nor do i plan on starting. I found some local shop, and the guy wants to help me on the side. So i dropped off a brand new bursch exhaust, gloss black, totall krap paint. It usually is gone after a month of running the car. So I decided to make this one last. The guy tells me he will blast it and apply a high temp powder. He mentioned the powder is good up to 1600 degrees. It was picked up yesterday, and it looks awesome.

Now.....

One hour after driving the car, and a smell that i was hoping would go away. It seems that all of the paint has cooked off the thing
    WTF soooo. i will call the guy tommorow. What happend???

Here is a before and after pic ... i dont have a yuck pick because it is dark out right now. I could post in the morning.

I am totally bummed

The black one is factory paint (no good)
    The grey one is High temp powder (i got ripped off?)
    Attached Images Attached Images   

the terrible pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Before making a judgement call, do you have any way to determine what your exhaust temperatures might be? If the factory units are painted, I can't image that happening to high-temp powder. Can you shoot the piping with an infrared thermometer after a run to determine how hot it gets?
    Last edited by WiseGuyz; 08-10-2010 at 10:40 AM.

Dan
    Elite Powder Coat

A good point above^

Was it Eastwood High Temp Powder he used for sure? I'll def. pass this onto our R&D guys and see if they have ever seen this happen in their powder tests!

-Matt/EW

I took it off and brought it back into the shop today, The guy lied to me He didnt even use the high heat powder we discussed. When i dropped it off we both said "high heat 1600 degree" when i spoke to him today....

"i thought you said your exhaust wouldnt get hotter than 400degrees, so i used the 600degree powder"

Anyway, after some discussion, he will reblast it and coat it with a ceramic powder he said is rated up to 2400 degrees. We shall see. Thank you for the replies

I believe the exhaust probably runs around 1200 degrees at full throttle. I will try to borrow a thromoeter to check it for ya.

Now you know what happens to powder if you cook it