Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blasting Cabinet Upgrade

Default Blasting Cabinet Upgrade

I have been using Bad Boy Blast cabinet for the past few years and it worked alot better than what i had before and it is a bigger unit. Most of the time i blast with my pressure pot out in a sea can but i use the cabinet for headers so i use aluminum oxide for media. I have had to replace the guns a few times and the last time i just used a cheap local gun that i had. The performance of the cabinet has slowly gotten poorer over time and when this last cheap gun started to go it got super slow to blast anything. I looked at some industrial cabinets at the place where i get my media and was given a price of $6500.00 for a
    36"x48" cabinet with a reclaim and vacumm system. I was shocked to say the least, i knew they where expensive but that is way to much i thought. I got searching online and found some really nice cabinets that are industrial and made in the USA. I got looking through there site and found that they have gun upgrade kit for these cheaper off shore cabinets. They have them in either the foot operated or hand trigger styles. These guys even have kits with plans to build your own cabinets for you DIY guys. I ordered the gun along with some carbide nozzles and also a hi production head assembly that they claim increase the power of the gun 2 to 3 times and it is just like using a pressure pot. I have not tried the hi production head but man the standard gun is killer! It blast so well, even when running low pressure for doing ceramics, it works very well and i reccomend this gun to anybody looking to cut blasting time. Price is very good to at $69.00 for the cabinet upgrade kit which includes a new 5/8" pick up tube and pretty much everything you need to rig it all up. The only thing that it should have is a longer suction hose at the one they supply is only 2 feet long. These guys have alot of cool stuff, like turntables for blasting wheels and a bunch of other cool stuff with very good prices. They have a cabinet that i am going to get in the future, inside size is 58" wide 36" tall and 34" deep. Big enough for motorcycle frames. Here is a link to cabinet upgrade kit, works awsome.
    http://www.tptools.com/p/2320,18_USA...grade-Kit.html

Here is my cabinet.

Here is the kit.

Here is the gun.

Installed a new regulator in the cabinet for more airflow.

I upgraded the air lines from the small 1/8" lines to 3/8" and have a 1/2" line coming up to the cabinet. No wonder these things blast the way they do, 1/8" air lines, i wish i had done this much sooner.

Stock 1/2" pick up tube compared to the new 5/8" one.

I ripped this old pipe in a few seconds at only 40 psi.

I only wish i had done this along time ago. What a difference this upgrade made to the cabinet, money very well spent.

Don't know what air pressure you are running, but you don't want to run it full blast (no pun intended), you want to try to stay around 60 psi for the most part. This will do a couple of things for your equipment. It won't eat up tips real fast, run eat at your gun so fast and you won't have to replace the window film so often. I keep mine in that area unless I have a real mean looking piece to blast. Then I'll turn it up for that piece, then back it down. My tips last quite awhile and my gun has been in use for better then 1 1/2 years with no issues and it's a cheap gun (Work Force brand) I use ceramic tips and they last pretty good. Got the gun and tips at Menard's. I also have my pot blaster ( pablaster.com ) set up to use with the cabinet. Hope this helped.
    Who said, you can't teach an ole dog new tricks?

I mainly use the cabinet for ceramics and you do not want a heavy profile as the coatings are very thin. I was just seeing how well it would rip at 40 psi, it really cuts fast and good. If i ran it at 80 psi the chrome ceramic will not be smooth even with 120 grit aluminum oxide, this gun cuts unlike any syphon gun i have ever tried, it has power like a pressure pot.

When it comes to doing pipes and headers for ceramic or anything else, I use black beauty @ 60 psi. It gives a good profile and don't eat things. I have seen that particular gun and liked it, but mine works just fine. Glad it is working out for you. As for ceramics, I use glass bead to clean the gray of the chrome @ 25 psi and it does a super job for that, but only glass in that instance.

I have never tried black beauty for ceramics, only in my pot. I assume it must wear out fast if using it over in a cabinet? I get customers sent to me from a major performance shop where i am located and i really am not willing to take a chance on a media such as coal slag to blast for with ceramics. I have a reputation to keep and i plan on doing that so i spend the money on a quality media for ceramic coating. I clean the white coating off after cure with 000 steel wool before i put the header into my tumbler. I find that it helps to speed up the polishing when doing so.

Also, i just only posted this to help others out. Where i am located no shops try to sell you this type of stuff. Where i live is very near to the oilsands where most of the usa's oil comes from and there is a very large amount of wealthy people that work in the oil and gas industry. Companies here do not try to sell shops the best deal, they try to soak you for the most money they can get for equipment, i really think a person is much better off with a quality syphon cabinet that a pressure pot for ceramics as you can control the blast and pressure much better. The industrial cabinets alow you to run a low pressure and alot of volume allowing you to blast your parts fast without to much of a profile. I had been told this before from some very experienced coaters but never had the chance to try this out until now, i would never use a pressure cab after trying this out and i also have no issues with dust, never have. The cabinet has a decent vacumm but when i go for this companies big unit i will get all of the extra's. I just wanted to try out how well a system like this can work before spending money on a good cab, imo they work awesome. It is also alot cheaper to upgrade a cab like most guys have this way than buying a cheap pressure pot and modding it to work in a cab and then you have the hassle of refilling it.

Everything you say is good. Me, I'm just a small shop and have tried many different things to make my work load as easy as possible. As for the siphon system, I have used it and it is okay. I just like the setup I have better, as you do with yours. We use what we like the best. Being a bigger shop, I'm sure you have had more to deal with then I have. Do like your cabinet though. I am looking to move to a larger one as I have to outsource some of the larger stuff. Not so bad, but I have to take the time to go there to get it done. As for dust from the Coal slag, I have no issues with it. I have a decent evacuation system for what dust it does create, which isn't all that bad. Besides, it keeps my cost down. Good luck with your cabinet search. Have you looked into TP Tools cabinets? They have some nice cabinets. Probably the best one I found is not far from me, in Michigan, but they are a bit pricey. Anyway, do your thing and best of luck with your business..

Quote Originally Posted by Pro SC View Post
    Also, i just only posted this to help others out. Where i am located no shops try to sell you this type of stuff. Where i live is very near to the oilsands where most of the usa's oil comes from and there is a very large amount of wealthy people that work in the oil and gas industry. Companies here do not try to sell shops the best deal, they try to soak you for the most money they can get for equipment, i really think a person is much better off with a quality syphon cabinet that a pressure pot for ceramics as you can control the blast and pressure much better. The industrial cabinets alow you to run a low pressure and alot of volume allowing you to blast your parts fast without to much of a profile. I had been told this before from some very experienced coaters but never had the chance to try this out until now, i would never use a pressure cab after trying this out and i also have no issues with dust, never have. The cabinet has a decent vacumm but when i go for this companies big unit i will get all of the extra's. I just wanted to try out how well a system like this can work before spending money on a good cab, imo they work awesome. It is also alot cheaper to upgrade a cab like most guys have this way than buying a cheap pressure pot and modding it to work in a cab and then you have the hassle of refilling it.
    That's a nice write up. I have been blasting with ruby garnet media at about 40 psi for a while now,.... once I lowered my pressure, the volume really did increase enough to make a huge difference. I can only imagine having a bigger compressor to help out too. I'm running a 3.5 hp IR 60 gal. that is rated at 10.4 cfm @ 90psi. Works great for giving a profile,.... and removes rust OK even....

Thanks ScottRods.
    That is the whole idea of this suction type of system, it gives you air volume not high pressure for blasting, that is why i upgraded the airlines in the cabinet and removed air restrictions as much as possible. They even have a higher capacity gun that requires a big compressor, i did not order that. I have a 15 hp Devair so my air needs are taken care of but a guy should be able to use this gun with a smaller compressor. I was very impressed with TP Tools, i ordered the parts online, no phone call and the parts were on the way the next day, no hassle everything went smooth. I will be dealing more with them in the future.