Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle Exhaust Question

Default Motorcycle Exhaust Question

I have a customer who has a 2010 Harley Street Glide and he want his heat shields and mufflers powder coated Gloss Black. I am pretty sure that the standard powder will hold up on the heat shields but will it hold up on the mufflers ?
    www.PaintedwithPowder.com

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out. Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

Yup
    "If you can't pick from over 6000 colors, call your painter cause I can't help you"

Hey David do you have any photos of some that you did ?

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out. Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

Quote Originally Posted by BigJayDee View Post
    Hey David do you have any photos of some that you did ?
    Sure, here ya go........

Gloss Black

EW Black Chrome on real chrome

and some Busa cans just for the h3ll of it EW Ano Red over EW Chrome

and another Gloss Black

My Gwad, I got so farked up with the large format pics - my apologies for the confusion.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    "If you can't pick from over 6000 colors, call your painter cause I can't help you"

What are you getting price wise to do heat sheilds and mufflers ?

Quote Originally Posted by BigJayDee View Post
    What are you getting price wise to do heat sheilds and mufflers ?
    Regular shields and slip-on muffs are $15/l.f.

The rice bike cans are different because you have to take them apart (at least I do), so I get $90 each for those.

Quote Originally Posted by CPC-2 View Post
    (SNIP)The rice bike cans are different because you have to take them apart (at least I do), so I get $90 each for those.
    Do you usually drill the rivets and do all the disassembly and reassembly, or have the customer do it?

What happens if you cook it assembled? Some of the factory ones (mufflers) are welded together - can they be coated?

Thanks.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay V View Post
    Do you usually drill the rivets and do all the disassembly and reassembly, or have the customer do it?

What happens if you cook it assembled? Some of the factory ones (mufflers) are welded together - can they be coated?

Thanks.

Jay
    Yes, I take them apart by drilling the rivets. On a couple of sets I did, they had some road rash and some dents-n-dings that had to be worked from the inside out. So I had no choice but to take them apart. Plus the stainless parts all needed a good polishing.

I don't know about factory seal crotch-rocket cans - haven't done any yet. But I've done several factory HD muffs and they wont come apart either. They get cooked as is. No complaints so far

They'll take exhaust heat, so curing heat shouldn't be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by CPC-2 View Post
    I don't know about factory seal crotch-rocket cans - haven't done any yet. But I've done several factory HD muffs and they wont come apart either. They get cooked as is. No complaints so far
    I got the mufflers last night and the mufflers on this one came apart and the baffles and packing came out of them pretty easy.

I am gonna try and get these done sometime this weekend

I just got all wobbly knee'd looking at those cans! Great job.