Thread: neutralizing soda blast

Default neutralizing soda blast

I purchased a soda blaster last spring to help speed the process of stripping a 67 Mustang. Recently, I have been seeing negative posts on other website forums and on vendor sites. These posts are stating that soda blast is no good due to the caustic nature of sodium bicarbonate. And you have to acid neutralize prior to priming and painting. I have read: soap and water, phosphoric acid rinse, vinegar and water, etc.

I am reading that the paintjobs are peeling because the eopxy/primer layers are not sticking.

Any suggestions? the Eastwood instructions were to rinse with soap and water. Dry the part and then shoot primer.

What is Eastwoods position on this.

Blog Entries

Soda Blasting leaves a metal surface as clean and smooth as the day it was stamped at the factory.
    The soda leaves behind a thin film of pulverized Baking Soda on the bare metal surface which in itself acts as a protective film to prevent flash rust for a month or longer if kept inside and dry.
    The step that many users fail to do is remove this pulverized Baking Soda film prior to painting.
    The correct method of doing this is to blow out any crevices or seams with a good, dry stream of compressed air then using a clean cloth DAMPENED - (not soaked) in a bucket of warm, soapy water, wipe the surface removing the pulverized Baking Soda film, Rinse and wring frequently. When done, repeat the process with fresh, clean water, rinse and wring the cloth frequently.
    After completion, do what the factory did and apply a metal surface etching solution such as Eastwood Fast Etch 19416 Z or equivalent product and you will have no adhesion or paint problems whatsoever.

I recently had the same experience. Everyone I queried about using soda to strip said, we don't because the paint will peel if any is found on the to be painted surface, even if washed. One bumper shop (TPO/PP) used Staurolite to prep bumpers. Another shop used walnut shells for sheet metal. I couldn't find anyone who said "soda is great."

Could Eastwood provide some clarification as to how to completely remove soda, particularly on non metal parts?

I spoke to Cloud59 about your question and he provided this response.

"The same applies to fiberglass, plastic, urethane, wood etc. The Bicarbonate of soda is not caustic as it is exactly the same material that people use for baking, brushing teeth etc. The only difference between the blasting soda and the grocery store variety is particle size. The blasting soda is a larger salt-like crystal. It is 100% water soluble and with proper rinsing to dissolve and remove it, will leave no residue."

5. Default

I am reading that the paintjobs are peeling because the eopxy/primer layers are not sticking.