Thread: Almost Bare Metal & Rust Converter and Rust Encapsulator

Default Almost Bare Metal & Rust Converter and Rust Encapsulator

I have media blasted some steel tubes (about 8 inches long and one to two inches in diameter). The outside of the tubes is no problem, but on the inside, I'm down to bare metal in some places and a tiny amount of rust, mostly in the bottom of some of the tiny pits where the rust was.

Do I use Rust Converter and then Rust Encapsulator? I ask because the Rust Converter FAQ says it isn't for use on bare metal and needs some rust to work. I also read that the best process is Rust Converter followed by Rust Encapsulator. I have both products in aerosol cans. What should I do?

I'm still doing prep work and repair on a vintage motorcycle and won't be painting for a few months at least. I'm leaning toward acrylic lacquer paint because I'm a woose about the respirators, air supplies, etc. for urethane, but in case I talk myself into urethane paint, I'm glad the Rust Converter and Encapsulator leave that door open.

Thanks in advance!

I have been looking for the same info. After searching online, Rust Encapsulator can be used on bare metal, as long as it is prepped correctly. Just scuff the metal with 120 grit or steel wool, and clean it with de-greaser or acetone. I guess in your case the trick would be to clean the inside of the pipe appropriately with a stick and a gritty swab.
    One for all and all for one.
    ChilliwackPlumber.ca

The rust Encapsulator can certainly be applied to bare metal after it has been either wire brushed or sanded. Certainly some 120-180 girt sand paper is a great way to prep bare metal. Then you can come back and use a degreaser such as our Pre Painting Prep to remove any contaminants prior to painting the Encpasulator on. The rust Converter should only be used no 100% rust since it needs to have rust to react with. I hope this helps.