Thread: Stock Exhaust Manifold Coating

Default Stock Exhaust Manifold Coating

Hi, my first post here. I just Al. Oxide blasted a pair of stock Ford 260 exhaust manifolds. Any suggestions what is the closest powder to original "finish"? I just purchased a PC gun, and this will be my first project. Thanks!

I would look at one of the 'cast iron' powders.

I'm pretty sure that even the high-temp powder is not going to hold up very long on exhaust manifolds. I would recommend ceramic coating for exhaust manifolds or headers applications. Welcome to the forum by the way.

Best of luck.

Dan
    Elite Powder Coat

Quote Originally Posted by WiseGuyz View Post
    I'm pretty sure that even the high-temp powder is not going to hold up very long on exhaust manifolds. I would recommend ceramic coating for exhaust manifolds or headers applications. Welcome to the forum by the way.

Best of luck.
    Actually, the 1000 F. hi-temp powders do very well on heavy, stock type c.i. manifolds. I've got several sets out there and nobody is squeakin' yet

Hi-temps will never survive on tube headers or shorty's - for that, you do need ceramic.

Default Thanks for the info

In this application, would other Eastwood products be a better application for appearance and durability? I want to have them as stock appearing as possible, but don't want them to return to the rust look. This car will be driven to weekend shows.

Well, CPC-2 knows his stuff so I'd probably take his word for it and gamble on the 1000 deg hi-temp. Just follow the instructions exactly. Any variation from the recommended steps will compromise the durability.

Best of luck.

Dan
    Elite Powder Coat

Quote Originally Posted by Phils2888 View Post
    In this application, would other Eastwood products be a better application for appearance and durability? I want to have them as stock appearing as possible, but don't want them to return to the rust look. This car will be driven to weekend shows.
    If you're buildng a chalkmark car, then yes, there are other products that will get you damb near spot on to the factory look when new. Look around on the EW site, they have a lot of brush-on & spray-on exhaust coatings that might fit the bill. I haven't personally used any of them, so I can't say how they hold up.