Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: hyper smooth gun

Quote Originally Posted by o1racing03 View Post
    I went to a cruise in at the local walmart today after going to one last week at the HD. The one at HD last week had about 10-15 cars , wasnt expecting much today , but after getting there and setting up today , there ended up being about 100 cars there and was probably the best showing for me this year , lots of potential work and a bunch coming this week. If it all falls into place I will be ordering a HS02 next week. The best part of the show was how many people commented on my competition ,saying how unhappy they were with their work, turnaround time, quality , color match ,etc. Made my day to here that stuff. Alot of them were now using another quality coater 60 miles away , but were happy to find one right here in town.
    Good on you. Bet none of those competitors bothered to show up either huh? I've done a lot of shows over the last 3 years and it continues to amaze me than NONE of them ever show up. Yet they **** and moan every time I take a regular customer from them. I wonder why that is?

Keep at it. Keep your name and your work in front of the buying public. Being consistant in the show circuits builds confidence in potential customers.

One of my best customers, and also the one I've had the longest, I met at a car show/swap meet 3 years ago. His work just gets bigger and better every time he shows up. We've actually gotten to be good freinds as a result of it.

One potential new customer told me how they screwed up his part 2 or 3 times then wouldnt make it right, went to another place that fixed and returned it in 2 days , he went back to show the other shop how it should have been done and how fast and was promptly thrown out of the place. No I have never seen my competitor at any show, have never met them , only talked on the phone, you remember who I'm talking about, dont you?
    Quote Originally Posted by CPC-2 View Post
    Good on you. Bet none of those competitors bothered to show up either huh? I've done a lot of shows over the last 3 years and it continues to amaze me than NONE of them ever show up. Yet they **** and moan every time I take a regular customer from them. I wonder why that is?

Keep at it. Keep your name and your work in front of the buying public. Being consistant in the show circuits builds confidence in potential customers.

One of my best customers, and also the one I've had the longest, I met at a car show/swap meet 3 years ago. His work just gets bigger and better every time he shows up. We've actually gotten to be good freinds as a result of it.

One potential new customer told me how they screwed up his part 2 or 3 times then wouldnt make it right, went to another place that fixed and returned it in 2 days , he went back to show the other shop how it should have been done and how fast and was promptly thrown out of the place. No I have never seen my competitor at any show, have never met them , only talked on the phone, you remember who I'm talking about, dont you?
    It's really suprising to me how most of the shops in my area don't seem to care that much about quality - just a "get it in and get it out" mentality that's only concerned about the bottom dollar.

If you're in this soley for the money - forget it - find something else. This stuff is not rocket science, it's an art, and you do have to care about the outcome of every piece you do. Otherwise, you next piece may be your last.

I've co-op'd some larger projects with 3 of the 7 or 8 shops that were around when I hung out my shingle. One of those three sold out, 2 will NEVER get another dime from me and 2 of the total are closed for good. One has gained me a ton of business just because of their poor quality. There's only one guy left in town that I'm aware of that does half way decent 'custom' work. I've either GOT to get a bigger oven, or sooner or later I'm gonna be over there begging for a co-op with him too - and it ain't gonna be pretty - I've taken a bunch of his regulars away from him. I'm sure he's just waiting to pinch my head off

Quote Originally Posted by CPC-2 View Post
    It's really suprising to me how most of the shops in my area don't seem to care that much about quality - just a "get it in and get it out" mentality that's only concerned about the bottom dollar.

If you're in this soley for the money - forget it - find something else. This stuff is not rocket science, it's an art, and you do have to care about the outcome of every piece you do. Otherwise, you next piece may be your last.(SNIP)
    Excellent advice!

Jay

PBTP posted this on their forum earlier tonight on a thread about the HS02, things that make you go "hmmmm"

'We will have information on this unit shortly, please be patient and we will have something up by Monday."
    Interesting things going on in Tennessee!

From the PTBP newsletter today:

We are very excited to announce our new partnership with Alva Technologies, Inc. the manufacturer of the Hyper Smooth powder coating system. Alva owns the trademark to the Hyper Smooth name and all patents associated wit h the Hyper Smooth product line. With our new partnership we have greatly expanded our engineering capabilities so watch for many new products and improvements to be introduced over the next few weeks. Prior to this partnership, Alva Technologies did not supply a hopper with their powder coating system, however we are pleased to announce that our new partnered Hyper Smooth system will have a 1LB pressure hopper included direct from the manufacturer. We are also pleased to say that the Multi Coat nozzle will be included as a standard item with this system.

New HYPER SMOOTH SYSTEM Includes:
    - 100kv controller with adjustments
    - Industrial powder coating gun
    - All cables, air hoses, and connections
    - Industrial grounded powder hose
    - Fan spray electrode
    - Extension wand/electrode
    - Multi-coat nozzle for metallics, candies, etc.
    - Round spray electrode with 6 different deflector cones
    - 1 lb pressure hopper

* Service and parts are readily available at PBTP.

** We are now the only manufacturer authorized distributor/service center of the Hyper Smooth Powder Coating System
    Mike
    Customs by Mike
    www.thepowdercoater.com

Wow, PBTP has the gun/system for $100 more than Columbia. I've followed all the posts on the various forums and so far I fall on the side of Brian (if I remember the name) from Columbia coatings. I think the poor guy got the shaft on this one.

I don't really have any issues with my Eastwood hobby (hot-coat) gun. I have done 3 coats with it cold on thick metal. I'm tempted to pick up one of these HS guns though. I don't think I need it since I don't really plan to go pro or even do THAT much coating for me and my friends. But honestly the story behind it is kinda cool so it will probably be an interesting page in the history of small shop/home powder coating. "the great hyper-smooth gun war of 2009"

Of course there are these rumors of Eastwood coming out with a new adjustable gun too that make me want to hold off.

:-)

Buggsy
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
    -Theodore Roosevelt-

Hey guys check out Alvas website. Looks like in Oct 09 they will be selling a fluidizing hopper and pump, hmmm,
    http://www.alva-technologies.com/hopper1.html
    It also looks like there replacing the Hyper Smooth Pony with the HS-01. I didnt care mmuch for the original Pony but this new verson looks Bad A$$http://www.alva-technologies.com/hs01.html.

wow another price drop, I wish I had waited to buy the gun. http://www.powderbuythepound.com/for...php?f=5&t=5014 Now $499.00 with eveything. WOW

If you bought it from PBTP they will give you a store credit.
    Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by trods View Post
    wow another price drop, I wish I had waited to buy the gun. http://www.powderbuythepound.com/for...php?f=5&t=5014 Now $499.00 with eveything. WOW
    Has it been more than 30 days? (60 days in my case) This is a serious consideration for now....... Money is money....