Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: blasting with Black Diamond

Default blasting with Black Diamond

Has anyone ever used "Black Diamond" brand coal slag? Tractor Supply caries it and it's the only thing I can find within 2 hours of me. All anyone uses here is silica sand.

This stuff is only $8 for 50 lbs
    Type: 20 40 Grit
    Size: 50
    Cosmic Powder
    Salem, AR

It's pretty agressive stuff especialy when new, you need to come down on the psi untill it breaks down some. It'll tear up aluminum pretty good.
    The TS around here has it, they also carry a 40/80 grit which is better. Don't know if that grit is available in your TS.

The TS around here also carries Aluminum Oxide which is better for use within a cabinet imo.

My local one only carries the 20/40 grit too. Much too coarse a profile even on steel for my taste. I went back to the 70-grit AO after using the Black Diamond only once. The 40/80 BD would definitely be better if you can get it. That price is hard to beat.

Dan
    Elite Powder Coat

Thanks for the input guys. They have an 80 grit garnet material , has anybody tried it? They only have one bucket of aluminum oxide.
    Cosmic Powder
    Salem, AR

I blast all my larger items outside with Black Diamond from TSC($7.55,50lb) always use the 40/80. I reclaim and sift and reuse it sometimes in a pinch, but for the price I dont worry about it too much. I havent had any issues with aggressive profile with it, but as mentioned , dont use too high of presuure and you will be ok. I use the AO in the cabinet , but its like $45-$50/50lb.

Just talked to the manager and he keeps a couple bags of the 40/80 on hand. I'll go get some this weekend.

Still can't believe I've got to drive 80 miles to buy media. Living in the middle of nowhere does have a few drawbacks :-(
    Cosmic Powder
    Salem, AR

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneGreen View Post
    Just talked to the manager and he keeps a couple bags of the 40/80 on hand. I'll go get some this weekend.

Still can't believe I've got to drive 80 miles to buy media. Living in the middle of nowhere does have a few drawbacks :-(
    I think if you ask at any of the TSCs they will bring the 40/80 into the store on the next truck, and theres no reason you cant talk them into stocking a pallet of it, tell them use 2-3 bags a week.

A local auto parts store called just now to say they are going to try to get the Black Beauty distributorship for this area. It will be a few weeks, so in the meantime I'll go with the 40/80 and see how it works out.
    Cosmic Powder
    Salem, AR

Default Re: Black Diamond

A couple of comments.
    Black Diamond aka Black Beauty aka Coal Slag. Is also rated (along with the numbers) in "Coarse, Medium & Fine" grade. Fine grade is best for a good powder coat profile.
    If you cannot get fine grade & must use medium. A quick scuff with 220 sandpaper will knock the rough profile down nicely.
    Once you use the medium a few times it will break down & leave a better profile for coating but it will also remove rust & paint less effectively (assumming you are using a cabinet and/or reclaiming it).
    Another great place too find coal slag to purchase it a Tool rental store. If they rent mediablasters & compressors. They usually sell the coal slag for the equipment.
    In my area, I buy 100# bags of fine grade coal slag for $11.00 at a tool rental store.
    Almost all of the coal slag products come from the mines in PA. So if you live near there it has too be cheap.
    Good Luck
    Bob
    www.capecodpowdercoating.com