Thread: Setting up the soda blaster

Default Setting up the soda blaster

hey folks, anyone set up their new soda blaster recently and have any pointers?

Default Setting up the soda blaster

Veritas,
    The biggest things to be concerned with are as follows:

* CFM output of the compressor

* Moisture filtration

* Throttle valve adjustment... start @ 1/2-OPEN & adjust accordningly

Dr. Scampy

Veritas,
    I cannot agree more with 'Dr. Scampy'. I bought Eastwoods soda blaster, the smaller one.

My compressor has no problem with the CFM, but the pressure does drop after continous use. So you need to pause once in a while to let it build back up. I have a three horse with an 80 gallon tank. When I first started using it, I got about 1/2 hour into blasting before no more soda was coming out. I eventually traced the problem to the ceramic metering cone in the throttle valve fitting. It was plugged with wet soda. I did not know anything about setting up a shop compressor for air tools and/or media blasting.

I did a lot of research on getting DRY AIR for soda blasting. It is not necessarily easy or cheap.
    The problem starts with your compressor. As is runs continously the air get hot. Water does not condense easily out of hot air. Having a water separator at the output of your compressor does no good. The water ends up at your blaster and over whelms the water separator on it.

What you need is a long run of pipe to cool down the air. I put sixty feet of copper pipe between my compressr and the blaster and had a huge improvement. I moved my system moisture separator to the end of the copper pipe and it gets about 90% of the water in the compressed air now. My air tools are now dry. I still get moisture at my blaster, but not near as much as I use to. I am considering upgrading the water separating/filtering at the blaster input.
    I cannot stress it enough, you want/need dry, dry air for your blaster and ALWAYS empty the tank of unused soda when you are done for the day.

Pat

Throttle Valve?? which valve

Gary,

The throttle valve is the valve between the tee fitting connecting the black hose to the orange hose at the bottom of the blaster.
    If soda ever stops coming out when you know you have it in the tank, you have to disasemble these fittings to get to the plugged ceramic metering fitting.
    Hope this helps.

Pat

Default absolutly no consistancy in soda output

im gonna have to say water isnt the only problem with this unit seeing that
    it does shoot soda for even five minutes clog after clog clog after clog clog after clog clog after clog clog after clog clog after clog clog after clog clog after clog clog after clog clog after clog clog after clog clog after clog clog after clog clog after clog clog after clog clog after clog clog after clog clog after clog clog after clog clog after clog clog after clog clog after clog clog after clog clog after clog maybe you might see im frustrated plenty of cfms and water separators next step is to throw all soda in the trash!

I have an 80 gallon compressor also and bought Eastwoods #20472 air filtering system for the output air on the compressor and seems to have eliminated 99% of my moisture problems. I ran my soda blaster for 2 hours this weekend with no issues. I do agree with running the blaster 10 or 15 minutes and then take a 30 to 60 second break to let the compressor and pressure rebuild in the tank.

Hello Mickey,
    How do yo uhave the unit set up? let me know all valve positions.