Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing rust from frame

Question Removing rust from frame

I would like to remove rust from the frame of the truck I am restoring. I will have it free of other parts in a few weeks and would like to know the best way to remove the rust and paint still on it. Sandblasting? What have you all tried?

It all depends on your time and budget. Media blasting is probably your best bet. Some do acid dipping. If you are down on cash and rich in time, you can go at it with some 80- grit and a sander.

Quote Originally Posted by cortsims View Post
    I would like to remove rust from the frame of the truck I am restoring. I will have it free of other parts in a few weeks and would like to know the best way to remove the rust and paint still on it. Sandblasting? What have you all tried?
    How much scale? A scaling tool (I think mine is an IR-125) works wonders on major 'crap' rust, cleaning enough that a light blasting or even a wirebrush will clean off the remaining. Do realize that a scaling tool will leave a rough finish, but then again if it is that rusted, it would be rough anyway!

I have tried sandblasting, Wire cups on a grinder and chemical striping. For paint the wire cup is what i like the best if you can get an agressive one. Chemicals like the ones that eastwood sells are good for converting and prepping metal for paint.

what is the best tool for removing rust?
    -Chris from NC
    Heart of Carolina Mustang Club
    current projects: 66 mustang coupe

There is a bit of scale so I am not worried about a rough finish. Thanks for the recommendation on the needle scaler, I have never used one.

A professionly sandblasted frame is best.

I have a frame that went from this...

To this..

Of course, there were many hours in between!! I can post the entire process (pic heavy!!) if anyone's interested.

Rich

Default Rusty Frame

Was that blasted with regular sand or was it a media blast like soda or glass beads or something 'rixcj'?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam's Custom Shop View Post
    Was that blasted with regular sand or was it a media blast like soda or glass beads or something 'rixcj'?
    I dropped it off at a sandblaster. I didn't give him any special instructions, so I know that it's not glass, or soda, but I'm not sure exactly what it is.

Probably whatever is commonly used.

He did a great job. It's apparent he really fussed to get every spot.

Rich

I blasted mine with blasting sand, and it came out great. It was alot of dirty nasty work. Afterwards I found out there are a couple guys locally that would have done it for under $200 bucks. Heck I almost have that much in equipment.