Thread: Lower door seam rust

Question Lower door seam rust

Greetings. This can be a great forum. So many questions, so little time!
    Here goes... Nearing the final stages in an extensive body restoration on a 1967 Fairlane Ranchero 500 and the driver's door is in good shape, except that there is some rust at the bottom seam in the door where the skin crimps over the door frame (along the bottom edge) No rust-through yet, but it is almost impossible to get in there to clean out what's there to prevent problems in the future. Is it best to use the new rust dissolver product that I have seen listed? Will pouring it into the seams do the trick? If so, what product should be used to permanently seal the area? It is extremely tight and maneuvering in there is difficult. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.
    Good Luck with the site!
    Ranchero 67

Default Lower Door Seam Rust

Ranchero 67,

What I would do is get a section of rain gutter (should be long enough to stand the door in it) and cap both ends. Then, I would fill it with some Eastwood Rust Dissolver and stand the door in it. This will allow the Rust Dissolver to get between the seam and dissolve the rust.

To prevent future rust, I would apply seam sealer to the seam, where the skin crimps over the door frame. Also, it would be a good idea to spray some Heavy-Duty Anti Rust into the door. This product will flow into the door's crevices and seal these areas from air and moisture.

Nick C.