Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: How To: Valve Cover With Diff Color Lettering

Those were obviously photobucket pics that once they are not displayed in the album will not display anywhere they have been published.
    Quote Originally Posted by W-Diddy View Post
    post 1 and 2 on the first page? you see pictures????? hmmmmm I'll try another computer

I have never found that need to mask off the lettering. I simply spray the letters the color I want them first, let the powder flow out but it doesn't need to completely. Cool down, shoot main color and carefully wipe powder of lettering. I have done probably 50 or so valve covers like this with no issues at all.

Heres my last 2 , while not 2 color. The letters on the "Da Motor" one were sanded after coating, the Honda one was polished then sprayed, letters wiped and then cured.

Quote Originally Posted by 95TSIAWD$ View Post
    I have never found that need to mask off the lettering. I simply spray the letters the color I want them first, let the powder flow out but it doesn't need to completely. Cool down, shoot main color and carefully wipe powder of lettering. I have done probably 50 or so valve covers like this with no issues at all.
    So you just leave the "overspray" from shooting the lettering on there then shoot over the top of it with the main color?

I usually just shoot the whole cover with the letter color as a basecoat, fully cure and let cool, then yes you shoot over that with the main color, wipe the lettering clean, then it goes into the oven for final cure of the second coat.

Dan
    Elite Powder Coat

Do you have any pics of the 50 covers?
    Quote Originally Posted by 95TSIAWD$ View Post

Quote Originally Posted by nvr8nf View Post
    So you just leave the "overspray" from shooting the lettering on there then shoot over the top of it with the main color?
    Correct, I do not spray the whole cover even though I could I feel like it's a waste of powder to do so.

Here are some of them, I have more pictures but don't feel like digging through all of my photobucket:

I just did my first multicolored valve cover and I couldn't be happier with the results! This thread has been very helpful!

So is what you are doing is spaying the red on first, letting it fully cure. Then spraying the black on over the whole project and then wiping off the black where the red letters are then curring it again. Is that how you are doing it. Sounds pretty easy I guess. I wonder if the dual voltage EW gun will powder over curred powder coat.

The Dual Voltage gun from EW is capable of multi coats. And yes that is how it is done.
    Quote Originally Posted by skido800 View Post
    So is what you are doing is spaying the red on first, letting it fully cure. Then spraying the black on over the whole project and then wiping off the black where the red letters are then curring it again. Is that how you are doing it. Sounds pretty easy I guess. I wonder if the dual voltage EW gun will powder over curred powder coat.