Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Media Blaster has me all mad

Default Media Blaster has me all mad

I bought a $150 blaster online. It leaks badly and the light has already died. I put in my shop light in there and it died last night.

I don't want to build one, I just don't have the time.

I want one from tptools.com, but I don't really want to get the vac yet since it'll be upwards of $1k for the entire unit. Do I need that vac or will my shop vac work? Will my shop vac be too powerful?

TPTools Blaster

Also, I'm still using Alum. Ox. for media, is that best for valve covers etc? (I need to get more.)

Any advice would be great!

Steve

Default Re: Media blaster

Hey Steve:
    A shop vac will work. Maybe not last forever, but it should buy you some time untill you can afford the right equipment. Just make sure you use a shop vac with a filter for fine particales, toy keep the media from getting into the motor.
    AO works well. I use Black beauty because it is cheap & I can buy it locally (no shipping costs.
    Good Luck
    Bob
    www.capecodpowdercoating.com

I'm using black beauty and a shop vac with a hepa filter and its doing fine so far, but the filter does get really dirty fairly quick. I just blow it out with my air line. Now that I have a compressor that works, I blast a lot. I kind of wish I had gotten that tp tools one as I was initially going to, but was short on funds at the time with some other non expected expenses. I spent 300 on my NT cabinet and just spent another 150 from tp to upgrade to a foot pedal and their better pick up tube.

Actually the entire gun and pickup setup from NT was not good at all. I have been using the gun and pick up from eastwoods molded mini benchtop cabinet and it works pretty good, but the tp stuff I just got yesterday looks like quality equipment.
    Mike
    Customs by Mike
    www.thepowdercoater.com

hi..i would a shop vac..allthough i dont use one at all..as far as the leaks,r they by the door??..if not use silicone to seal it,or even liquid nails does good..as far as media,i use the same as you..the brown stuff.all.oxide..good luck
    Bryant E Gorges. www.newlifeautobody.com

Quote Originally Posted by 2003z
    I'm using black beauty and a shop vac with a hepa filter and its doing fine so far, but the filter does get really dirty fairly quick. I just blow it out with my air line. Now that I have a compressor that works, I blast a lot. I kind of wish I had gotten that tp tools one as I was initially going to, but was short on funds at the time with some other non expected expenses. I spent 300 on my NT cabinet and just spent another 150 from tp to upgrade to a foot pedal and their better pick up tube.

Actually the entire gun and pickup setup from NT was not good at all. I have been using the gun and pick up from eastwoods molded mini benchtop cabinet and it works pretty good, but the tp stuff I just got yesterday looks like quality equipment.
    does "NT".stand for northeren tools??.if so they.bite big time..how about harbor freight??
    Bryant E Gorges. www.newlifeautobody.com

Quote Originally Posted by prost56
    does "NT".stand for northeren tools??.if so they.bite big time..how about harbor freight??
    yes, northern tool. they are much better in quality than HF.
    Mike
    Customs by Mike
    www.thepowdercoater.com

I have a TP 760 blaster like the one in the pic above. Great Quality, great service, made in the usa and they have an extensive replacement parts catalouge they send every month. I got mine on EBAY.... but they have a website..

Default Re: media blaster

Quote Originally Posted by 2003z
    yes, northern tool. they are much better in quality than HF.
    I have to agree with Mike:
    Northern is MUCH better than HF. I could give you at least a 1/2 dozen reasons. Some on Quality, but more on Service & shipping. I have had no luck with HF.
    Bob
    www.capecodpowdercoating.com

Im not a big fan of HF either, but I did buy my vac unit from them. I bought 2 cabinets from the China import place, built them, then welded them together. I had my oldest son crawl inside and help silicone all the seams so it wouldn't leak. So far so good.

Josh
    Attached Images Attached Images  

If your having problems with your blaster you may be interested in building a pressure assisted blaster using a pressure pot. I got the plans from this guy.

http://www.pablaster.com/

its kind of a pain in the but when you need to refill, but it does work awesome and my days of clogged siphon tubes are gone.