Thread: Aluminum Spot welding

Default Aluminum Spot welding

I have been trying to spot weld aluminum sheet stock, I get a spot weld and after the meterial cools off a little pressure on the weld and the weld comes apart. I would appericate any advise on what I'm doing wrong!
    Thanks,
    Avanti 78

What are you making these spot welds with?

Regaurdless it sounds like you are not getting penetration and that could be caused by a bunch of different things such as dirty panels (you did clean the spots with a stainless brush didn't you?) or simply technique (which is something only you can develop).

You may want to copy and paste this question in the Welding section for more exposure. But please give more info on alloy, wire or rods, type of process (gas, mig, tig) etc. so that we can get a better idea on what's going on.
    Chris'
    Autobody
    Restoration
    Service

www.carsofcomfrey.com

Comfrey MN

William McCormick "I am not an expert, but I do know some basics that are often not known by many."

I am using a 240 volt two prong spot welder, I cleaned the sheet plate with aluminum oxide blasting media. I then place the work between the prongs and apply current for 1-3 seconds. and the weld after cooling comes apart?
    Avanti 78

Ok. Eastwood is going to have to answer this one. I am not sure if the hand-held spot welders are designed to do aluminum. The ones that are marketed to body shops are commonly 440v units and cost thousands of dollars. I would assume that the little units aren't putting out enough heat to puddle both sheets of aluminum.

Good luck, sorry I couldn't be more help.
    Chris'
    Autobody
    Restoration
    Service

www.carsofcomfrey.com

Comfrey MN

William McCormick "I am not an expert, but I do know some basics that are often not known by many."

Check this out for more info. http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/Resistance.pdf
    It may not be the same brand but the same design. Look at 4-17 for a section on aluminum and alloys.

Hope this is of some help. Good luck with your project.
    Chris'
    Autobody
    Restoration
    Service

www.carsofcomfrey.com

Comfrey MN