Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats the best media to use for blasting?

Default Whats the best media to use for blasting?

Hello all,
    What is the best media to use to blast before powder coating? I am assuming a very fine media?
    Thanks

Aluminum Oxide seems to be the best to prep parts, if you need do remove old powdercoating poly abrasive blast media works the best for that.

Default Re: Best media

Quote Originally Posted by lsclark
    Hello all,
    What is the best media to use to blast before powder coating? I am assuming a very fine media?
    Thanks
    Hi LSClark:
    Boy that is a wide open question. Give us more detail & we can answer in more detail
    A: Are you blasting from a bucket or cabinet?
    B: Are you capturing & reusing the media?
    C: What type of substrate are you blasting?
    D: Are you removing, paint, powdercoating, rust, millscale or all of the above?
    Good Luck
    Bob
    www.capecodpowdercoating.com

I would like to know the answer to this also we have laser cut 18GA. parts mostly but will be doing other things when we have time.I have black diamond media will this be to coarse for thin material?I haven't tried it yet.

I blast as infrequently as possible. When I do, its mostly a pressure blaster outside, but I do have the small eastwood plastic blast cabinet.

I used AO for a while, but it is very fine and sticks to your sweaty legs (when you wear shorts) and gets everywhere else. Plus its pretty expensive.

I used play sand, but it is unsafe.

Now, I use black diamond from northern tool, at around $8 for 50 lbs, and it works just as well as the other stuff.

Mostly though, I use my parts cleaner with petroleum distillates followed with simple green or a drill with a nylon wheel.
    Mike
    Customs by Mike
    www.thepowdercoater.com

I have been using glass bead and am pretty satisfied with it. Although I do need something that is more abrasive some time.

I tried AO and find that for me it is to dusty. I have a cabinet with a Vac. draw and I think it makes way to much dust while doing it and leaves to much on the part to blow off.

I bought it from HF.

Are all the AO that dusty or is it because of where I bought it from?

Hi Bob,
    I have a 36"X24" Blast cabinet. I will be doing pretty much every thing. I would like something to use on Stainless steel to aluminum. Also I would like a low dust media. Is this all too much to ask for one media?
    Thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by 2003z
    Now, I use black diamond from northern tool, at around $8 for 50 lbs, and it works just as well as the other stuff.
    What I use, I had problems with glass bead embedding itself in the metal then popping out during curing.

Default Re: Best media

Quote Originally Posted by lsclark
    Hi Bob,
    I have a 36"X24" Blast cabinet. I will be doing pretty much every thing. I would like something to use on Stainless steel to aluminum. Also I would like a low dust media. Is this all too much to ask for one media?
    Thanks for the help
    Hi LsClark:
    Every job has it's "best media". With that said, IMO Black Beauty (BB) is best if you need one media to work on a wide variety of substrates. I perfer the "fine grade" as it is pretty aggresive, but not SO aggresive that it requires alot of sanding afterwards.
    (BB) also is very cost effective, (almost as cheap as sand), but allot safer for your health. FYI... I pay $11.00 for a 100# bag locally, no shipping. If you have to pay to ship in (BB) it makes the cost go too high (heavy).
    As the (BB) wears down the dust will get worse. That is the time to change the media for new. An old trick was to save some of the worn (BB) and use it for blasting some softer metals i. e. alum & alloys. It worked well & saved $$.
    Good Luck
    Bob
    Last edited by Capepowder; 04-05-2006 at 09:44 PM. Reason: typo
    www.capecodpowdercoating.com

I use Aluminum Oxide it works fine for me.