Thread: Rust Repair Question

Default Rust Repair Question

Hello,

I'm a long time lurker but new poster. Great forum.

My car has developed a few spots of rust, which is to be expected after 21 years. How should I deal with these? I have little knowledge about body work, except that consistent washing is beneficial (and it certainly was).

The driver's side rear wheel well, front side.

The passenger side is a little better, but still noticeable.

Thanks all.

Based on the age of your vehicle and location of the rust it really looks like it is being caused by where two panels are welded together. To repair this correctly you will have to cut out the front section of metal to clean the rust up. Then weld in a fresh patch panel. After this you can apply your body filler/primer and paint. I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
    Based on the age of your vehicle and location of the rust it really looks like it is being caused by where two panels are welded together. To repair this correctly you will have to cut out the front section of metal to clean the rust up. Then weld in a fresh patch panel. After this you can apply your body filler/primer and paint. I hope this helps.
    Thank you, it does. What should I do in the interest of preserving the vehicle? I can weld in a new panel as you've said, spray an inhibitor on the affected areas, or do nothing.

I sought the opinion of a body work expert as well. He suggested the area is too small to warrant immediate action, and that it is best to observe it for the next few years and only start work if it grows. He also said that starting work now could remove good metal needlessly.

The choice is up to you with what steps you would like to take. If you wait and watch to see what happens the rust make become more extensive and require more fabrication when making a new panel. The other option is if you would like to slow down the rust and observe you could try and get some Internal Frame coating to absorb in between the panels if possible at all. Then put our Rust Encapsulator on the outside. Now keep in mind that this would be a bandaid fix at best. I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
    The choice is up to you with what steps you would like to take. If you wait and watch to see what happens the rust make become more extensive and require more fabrication when making a new panel. The other option is if you would like to slow down the rust and observe you could try and get some Internal Frame coating to absorb in between the panels if possible at all. Then put our Rust Encapsulator on the outside. Now keep in mind that this would be a bandaid fix at best. I hope this helps.
    Thank you, Scott. In the best interest of preserving the vehicle, I will apply the two products you suggested. I suspect that since the area is small, welding in a new panel right now would needlessly remove metal. In fact, one shop suggested fiberglass as the best option, which would remove the metal anyway.

Scott, what do you think about applying Eastwood's road salt neutralizer during the salty winters here in Maryland? Or am I dancing around the right solution, which is welding in a panel right now.

On a general note, I am inexperienced with body work. On one hand, daily driver cars are disposed because they are unrepairable due to rust. I often see abused cars with rust holes in the rocker panel. Yet classic cars are often found with extensive rust and restored. How can one car be repaired and the other deemed unrepairable? The few classic car restoration books I've read don't expand on this topic in detail (Standard Guide to Classic Car Restoration by Matt Joseph and How to Restore your Collector Car by Tom Brownell).

Thank you kindly for your help.

It certainly couldn't hurt to go ahead and use the road salt neutralizer. Anything you can do to prolong the life of your daily driver is a good Idea.

Thanks again Scott. The car isn't my daily driver but a weekend/social car. It is a 1995 Corolla that has been with me since new. I drive it for sentimental reasons. Not exactly a 1930s MG Saloon, but just the same in my eyes.

Default Rust Repair Que

Hi everyone, its been a while sense I have been here; good to see some of the same faces: Rece Chris, Dr. 914 etc. I need some help locating a good shop that will repair a rust area lower Right Long on my car. Someone in the Houston area. Any help would be very appriciated. Thanks Mike

купить кондиционер mitsubishi