Thread: Corroless vs Rust Encapsulator

Default Corroless vs Rust Encapsulator

Is there any difference between Corroless and Rust Encapsulator? Does Corroless have a shelf life? Thanks, Jb

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B
    Is there any difference between Corroless and Rust Encapsulator? Does Corroless have a shelf life? Thanks, Jb
    Jb, If I remember correctly Corroless is a industrial epoxy primer that is applied to bare metal for rust protection. Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator is designed for use over existing rust. It converts the rust (iron oxide) to stable (iron phosphate) and clings better to the rougher rusty surface than it does to bare metal. As for the shelf life, everything goes bad (except for twinkies) it all depends on how much heat and air it has been exposed to.

Jb,

I just found your other post answered by Dr. Scampy. I didn't realize Corroless, Inc. made a rust coating as well as epoxies and hundreds of other coatings. You learn something new everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by 87GN
    Jb, If I remember correctly Corroless is a industrial epoxy primer that is applied to bare metal for rust protection. Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator is designed for use over existing rust. It converts the rust (iron oxide) to stable (iron phosphate) and clings better to the rougher rusty surface than it does to bare metal. As for the shelf life, everything goes bad (except for twinkies) it all depends on how much heat and air it has been exposed to.
    Twinkies don't go bad? Hmmm gonna have to restock that survival kit with twinkies.

Corroless seems to work much better on rusted metal than bare. I've had a problem with lifting over bare metal. I must say, however, that I've had better luck with the aerosol version in either case. I'm not quite sure why, although I read a thread elsewhere on the board relating a similar experience.

Default I Love Corroless

Hello from the Rustbelt,

I have been using Corroles for a long time and was initially dissapointed that it has been replaced by Rust Encapsulator. Corroles was the best treatment I could find for stopping rust.

Recently I tried some of the Rust Encapsulator on a mildly rusted gas tank. It was easy to apply. If the Rust Encapsulator works as well over wire brushed surface rust as Corroles I will be happy. Apparently it works better at stopping rust - but time will tell. One thing is for sure, the color is better. I used the silver on the gas tank, and have a can of black to use on the underside of my car and truck. The red Corroles did not look right and always had to be painted over. With the silver and black Rust Encapsulator, it can be used without being topcoated and not look too hideous on a daily driver.

Has anyone tried the Silver colored Rust Encapsulator on Brake Calipers? What is the heat range for this stuff. My brakes are brown colored because of rust, and it has occured to me that rather than powder coating (which I don't have the equipment for) I could use Silver Rust Encapsulator on the brake calipers. If it would hold up to the temperatures, which I don't think are very high on the calipers and brackets I could easily unbolt the brake calipers, and related parts and just paint them with RE using a disposable paint brush. RE seems to harden enough to reassemble within a couple hours.

I am guessing that RE would burn off if applied to a brake rotor, even the center hub area of the rotor, and may interfere with heat dissipation, but my guess is that the RE would withstand the temperatures found on my brake calipers.

Has anyone used RE on any parts that get hot?

Jon
    1996 Cadillac STS, 1997 Chevy Blazer.